Event Volunteers are individuals that help the day of an event. Class A Volunteers are anyone who has direct contact with athletes; is in a position of authority, supervision, or trust of athletes; or handles substantial amounts of cash or other assets for Special Olympics Iowa. Examples of this may be a coach, chaperone, individuals that are one on one with athletes, or individuals that transport athletes.
Individuals that would like to be an Event Volunteer can see available volunteer opportunities by clicking on Current Volunteer Opportunities. To receive communications about future volunteer opportunities, click on Hear About Future Volunteer Opportunities.
Class A Volunteers
The Class A Volunteer Application process has changed. An individual wanting to become a Class A Volunteer needs to complete the Class A Volunteer Application, Background Check, and Protective Behaviors Training & Quiz.
Upon submitting your Class A Volunteer Application, complete the background check online at Sterling Volunteers, and complete the Protective Behaviors Training & Quiz. You will receive an automated email notification per each of the three components completed as they are processed. Individuals should keep the email(s) on file in case you need to provide proof of completion.
* Class A Volunteers will no longer be issued credential badges that they are expected to wear at events *
1. Complete the Class A Volunteer Application
– Fill out application thoroughly and click “Submit” at the bottom of the page once completed
2. Complete the Background Check
– Register as a new user or login with a previously created account to renew your background check
– Fill out background check application thoroughly (You DO NOT need to enter your SSN. Please select “No SSN”) and click “Submit Order” at the bottom of the page once completed
– You will only be contacted by SOIA if your background check was NOT approved
* SOIA will cover the cost of your background check, although donations are appreciated! If asked for a GOOD DEED code to waive the fee, it is: c68ggaw *
3. Complete the Protective Behaviors Training & Quiz
– Register as a new user or login with a previously created account to renew your certification
– Review all training slides, answer questions correctly when asked, and click “Submit” once you have reached the end of the training
Coach Code of Conduct Forms
Class A Volunteers must renew their credentials every three years by completing the above process.
For any questions or concerns on the Class A Volunteer Application process, please contact Paula Doan, Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com or 515-986-5520.